Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Kraken is Let Down Again

 So I've got to say it because I can't stand it any longer. Capper, you are dead to me. I have had enough of your whining purity tests, your constant complaining about the Democratic Party, the omnipresent allegations of a Wall Street conspiracy within the party, and I have absolutely had it with the republican pseudo-male rape fantasies "being shoved down our throats." It's crap, it's constant crap and I can't handle that kind of negativity and defeatism anymore. 

And let's get it out of the way; I know that I am nobody. I am fully aware that I have very few Twitter followers. I am painfully aware that I have no influence on anyone. And I know that losing one follower will not affect you in the least. But I'm tired. Tired of watching a guy whom I started out as a big fan of just fall deeper and deeper into a perpetual curmudgeon idiom while so many of us are trying hard to ease the suffering of our fellows and the damage to our nation. 

You are standing in the way of that work and I will no longer be counted among your followers.

If you look through my archives you will see the multiple instances where I cite you and your work as a trusted source. You were one of the few people who supported my blog and followed me on social media and I am very sad that it has come to this. I don't even know what you stand for anymore. It seems when you support the conspiracy theory that Democrats are somehow forcing you to accept a state of things that you find intolerable that it is really an exercise in projection. You studied psychology, it should be apparent that what you complain about is the inverse of what you demand; that everyone do and believe exactly as you do or they are sheep. 

Most of us are fine with both Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Not happy, they were really no one's first choice but no one held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to vote for Biden in the primaries. Everyone who voted in the primaries had a choice. Wall Street can give all the money they want to their favored candidates but in the end it is votes that advance the nominee. I voted for Bernie in the primary, just like I did the last time, and I am perfectly okay with him now calling on all Democrats to support the actual Democratic nominee and his running mate. You cannot get over your pride just enough to kick doughfacedonny out of the office he is perverting and all the damage he has done has not convinced you that maybe compromising could be the key to getting some of what you want instead of bargaining it away. 

Perusing my archives will also find several instances of me questioning your blog partner Jeff, may he rest in peace. The attitude he had toward insisting that his definition of progressivism was the only true way and everyone else was wrong or a sellout was so grating. I take back nothing I said about him but I am sorry that he suffered and passed away too soon. This, however, does not excuse your taking up his purity pity party flag and running with it. When I wake up and see things like this in my feed I kind of want to throw up:

 

 

 

How is this helpful to anyone? It is like when Jeff passed away his spirit passed into you.

 

Don't you just love the "shut up and vote the way we tell you" tactic that the Democrats are using? And they're deploying it early and often this year. Because, y'know, it works so well.

Posted by Chris Capper Liebenthal on Thursday, August 13, 2020

 Sure, I get it. You're old now, retired. You don't have to fight the rat race anymore. Don't have to sweat some boss you've never even met decide on a whim that they aren't making enough money off of you and need to kick you out in the cold. Or bust your ass retraining and sending out hundreds of resumes only to have not one call you back. Politics was a hobby for your generation, not a life and death struggle as it is for younger generations. 

The thing is your shtick isn't even original, I see it in just about every comment thread on the subject. Which gets me to the conclusion; this kind of pessimism is infectious. We are all influenceable and impressionable to one degree or another, heck I used to take what you said seriously. Not only is it infectious but the holier-than-thou attitude snowballs. The republicans figured out a long time ago that if you just assert a thing over and over again many people will come to believe it. The more curmudgeons of any age that express the readily-apparent fact that the Democrats have a lot of problems in this conspiratorial tone, the further we all are from fixing it.

I wrote a post almost a year ago decrying the effects of "wailers" on the left that find that "perfect rhetorical florish" to kneecap Democrats trying to run for office without actually doing anything to fix problems or build anything. I don't know what you do offline politically Capper, but your public facing online presence is all tear down, no build up. And I can't be a part of that anymore. Sure, you can say "I told you so" when Barr's secret police have us in a camp somewhere because the sellout Democrats couldn't get it done. But until then, I've picked a side and I'm not going to let you drag me down anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment