Tuesday, March 21, 2017

What does the Democratic Party stand for?

And whose party is it anyway? Since doughfacedonny stole the election with all the help sociopathic partisans and foreigners could provide, Democrats have been yelling at the shadows on the wall over why the hell people went out and voted for the pussy grabber. I entered the fight between establishment and insurgency with utter futility last May when I tried to challenge Cog Dis blogger Jeff Simpson over who owns the definition of progressivism to no avail. I thought I was being pretty reasonable when I stated that our side is a continuous dialogue over what we stand for and that no one individual or faction of the Democratic Party is the sole arbiter of what it means to be progressive. No one picked up on that particular dialogue, which was mostly a continuation of the Bernie or bust selfishness anyway and that I have been fairly clear where I stand. The short version is "defeat the republicans, then we'll fight it out amongst ourselves."

But that answer isn't good enough for a lot of people to my left. I'm still sort of in shock that there are people to my left, I thought it was just a consequence of getting old. But Shaun King is not that much younger than I am, and he is irate with the Democratic Party. Though titled "The Democratic Party doesn't get why it's so unpopular" on his author's page at the New York Daily News, when you click the link it is titled "The Democratic Party seems to have no earthly idea why it is so damn unpopular." King treats the party as a monolith, aloof and out of touch:
A troubling new poll was just released showing that the Democratic Party is significantly less popular than both Donald Trump and Mike Pence. My gut tells me that Democrats will ignore this poll, or blame it on bad polling, and continue down the same course they are currently on: being funded by lobbyists and the 1%, straddling the fence or outright ignoring many of most inspirational issues of the time, and blaming Bernie Sanders for why they aren’t in power right now.
As a general rule the Democratic Party doesn’t listen well and struggles to hear the truth about itself.
After a very unflattering photo of Debbie Wasserman-Schulz with the caption "[p]art of the reason why the Democratic Party is so reviled stems from leaked emails in which former DNC chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz appeared to show favortism[sic] to Clinton over Bernie Sanders." King begs "don't call me a 'Bernie Bro'" as he rails against "mainstream" "corporate" Democrats and their "lobbyist-driven agenda". He treats the party as a secretive cabal whipsawing the grassroots with a my way or the highway, you have no where else to go attitude. His issues with Democratic leadership (vaguely) may be valid but his tone combines the worst aspects of white Bernie Bro and aggrieved black power enthusiast. Ed from Gin and Tacos states that "[f]or myriad reasons Shaun King is not the most reliable of commentators" so I'm not alone in viewing him as a legend in his own mind. King's wikipedia page describes him as an activist on social media, whether he really does organize real life events without spending money on it is an open question. I'm not about to study his full biography, it would take too much time to decide whether he is simply in it for himself or sincere.
 
Well, I guess as long as he concentrates on microaggressions, perpetual racial outrages, and attacking the Democratic Party Shaun King is less likely to disappear in the night. Good for him, he's probably making a living wage on his activities to boot. It must bring him great joy to say "I told you so" and repeatedly kick the only institution with a snowball's chance of beating back the psychopaths on the other side while they are down. With friends like this...

No, the mainstream Democrats may never learn, but capitulating to a perpetual rebel probably isn't the answer either. Would King argue that there is no difference between Hillary Clinton and doughface donny? Would he continue to be outraged over the content of her emails instead of the theft in which they were obtained? The basic question is not about blaming Bernie Sanders, but that enough privileged liberals said "nope, not good enough" when asked to stop the doughface, the answer always being "you didn't try hard enough to win me over" and "it will serve you right when trump takes over, maybe then you Democrats won't be such corporate sell-outs."

I hate being in the middle of this. I guess I remain a seamonster without a home, being suspicious of both sides of this argument. There's an old saying about a liberal not being able to take his own side in an argument. I really don't know what to believe anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment