Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Despair or Discouragement part two

It was really hard getting out of bed this morning. They say personal tragedies come in threes, knowing [I'm with stupid] is still going to be governor for two more years was just the capper. On the personal level, it has to at least signal that looking for a job with the state is pointless. The other two, well maybe it was just coincidence. Just personal anecdotes, nothing even approaching political analysis. My only thought is Wisconsin is a goner, there is no point wasting time trying to civilize it.

I always suspected that the little town I reside in for the moment was full of vicious, mean-spirited, and xenophobic assholes. Every interaction with the slobs, rednecks, and general white trash that call the former Schlesingerville home has left me despairing for the human condition. Last weekend was pretty much the last straw though. My wife had to work and we had a showing of our house (yes, we are actively trying to leave) so I had to take my daughter out for a while. We had a wonderful time at the park nearby playing with a local girl a little older than my daughter. She was there with her aunt, who I chatted with a little on very pleasant terms. I was just thinking maybe everyone here wasn't so bad when the church nearby started ringing its bells and the aunt said "wow, does that happen all the time?" Found out, she was from Milwaukee so that explains that. Her niece was almost a micro-version of the bossy, self-righteous, and intolerant attitudes regularly encountered here. Apparently, bad attitudes are programmed early.

Finally time to leave and I found that my car's battery had died. Ugh. In a small town a motor vehicle is basically mandatory because there is no public transportation and nothing is within walking distance. There are practically no sidewalks either, so even walking at all is discouraged. There were people nearby watching my travails, just watching. NO ONE OFFERED TO HELP. I had to call my wife at work and ask her to come jumpstart the car. So then not an hour later, after driving on the highway to charge the battery aa little, I stopped at subway to get us a late lunch. Came back out to find the thing had died again. AGAIN, PEOPLE ALL OVER, NOT EVEN A SIDEWAYS GLANCE. The wannabe preppy redneck with the crotch rocket parked next to me even held his hand up to shield his eyes and drive away as quickly as possible without looking at me. Anyway, I finally figured out that the battery cable had come loose and got it back on, with my wife's help and tightened it down. So, small towns are supposed to be helpful, or at least that was what I had always been led to believe. Was it that I am a man and supposed to know these things? Could they just smell the incorrect ideas and opinions I hold? I could just be projecting. But I see the same awful attitude everywhere I go in Southeast Wisconsin, frowning faces that say "I hate my life and I am going to try and make you miserable too."

So these are the people that were drawn to [I'm with stupid] and his promises to hurt teachers and cut those "entitled state workers" off from their undeserved benefits. These are the people who march in lockstep to the beat of "individual responsibility" meaning "fuck you." Yes, I'll be impolite enough to say it.

Then we got the results of our showing. I do not know if it was just lack of tact, sloppiness, or what but the realtor sent us the exit survey results. My wife (with a little help from me) had spent the past two days cleaning, scrubbing, decluttering, and generally making our house look incredible. It merited a "fair" rating from these prospective buyers. Also, we got to see that they would not be coming back and had no intention of making an offer, even if we dropped the price to the level they thought it was worth. Which would be a full 40% below what we paid for it. It was already 35% under our sale price, and far far below what we owe on it. I do not know if this was an intentional "fuck you" on the part of our realtor and the schmucks who brought these rude people through our home, but definitely tactless at least.

So, this is where I live, around some of the most rotten, rude, self-important assholes perhaps to ever walk the Earth. Who knows if they really are a majority, or even a plurality. But you can keep them [I'm with stupid] you and your gloating brownshirts make a wonderful little fascist wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment