Sunday, July 12, 2020

Republican Virtue Signaling

Found this letter to the editor in my hometown's newspaper. These declarations of... what exactly? Is this fellow trying to be brave in the face of adversity? In denial? Setting up a straw man and knocking it down is fairly easy even for people with no idea what a logical fallacy is. Or is it simple rebellious spirit to resist authority as the writer sees it? 

As in previous posts, these rural authoritarian followers believe themselves isolated and removed from what "those people" in the cities are doing. Though it doesn't keep them from voting for republicans to punish "those city folks" for whatever they don't like in the moment. This letter was written by someone who has never feared anything before, nor had anyone to smack him down for arrogance. I cannot say whether rural authoritarian followers in Wisconsin are any worse than in other parts of the country but if you go there, this is exactly the kind of attitude you will encounter. His luck may hold out for a while, and maybe that isolation will protect him for COVID-19 altogether. But the virus really doesn't care about your posturing, defiance, arrogance, or virtue signaling. It is hard to have sympathy for someone like this, and I have none left. Every republican who gets sick because they "continue to live as normal" and is chastised by the ordeal will be a benefit to mankind. 

Continuing to live life as normal

To the editor: When the dreaded coronavirus hit, my first thought was that it was all a bunch of hooey. But now ... now, I've had a change of heart. I've now decided I'm going to follow the science.

Follow the science.

Highly educated people — TV star doctors, wearing masks (and scarves) and having many alphabet letters after their names from prestigious universities

informed us that 2.2 million people were “probably going to die” from covid — 2.2 million deaths. Not 2.2 million tested, not 2.2 million sick, not 2.2 million recovered, but 2.2 million were probably going to die! These medical geniuses are using the latest and greatest computer models to arrive at this magic 2.2 million number. We will never know how many have died due to the manipulation of the data but even padding those statistics didn’t get us anywhere near 2.2 million. Perhaps the Trump administration will get the blame for not hitting the 2.2 million?

So here is my personal, strategic covid plan: When those 2.2 million people die, I'm going to go directly into my bathroom and wash my hands! Until then, I’m going to live my life and avoid doing business with any company that forces me to wear a mask!

And what if I’m one of the 2.2 million? I’ll be with my resurrected lord and savior who decides when, how and where I die. My faith is in Him, not computer regurgitations fed by flawed human beings.

I sincerely hope to see you there!



No comments:

Post a Comment