Saturday, March 14, 2015

Keep Up With The Kraken

I don't normally do this but I wanted to pass along an offer to try Audible.com for 30 days, free. I have been a subscriber for several years now and my biggest problem is keeping up with all the books I download. Click here or on the banner to get started Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks (I'm not sure if the banner ad comes through)
                                                                                                                         

The latest audiobook I downloaded was called:

The Age of Acquiescence: The Life and Death of American Resistance to Organized Wealth and Power

 
A subject near and dear to my sea monster heart. That was a couple months ago, my credits are piling up but this is a subject I hope to start writing about soon. Corruption, privilege, hereditary wealth, these are bad things aren't they? Especially when the last one enflames the first two. Why have so many Americans turned to a fascist worldview when they are so clearly being fleeced by grifters and robber barons? Maybe because the problems we face are  so overwhelming we can't face the magnitude, much less find the time, energy, and imagination necessary to resist it? Possibly. 
 
I did find that Audible has a cool app for smartphones (one of which I finally joined the 21st Century and acquired) that will let you browse and see your whole library but you only download the one you want to your device so you can save memory space. You still have to log on with your browser to buy a book but I thought it was a pretty neat idea. So if you like audiobooks you can carry one with you anywhere. It was kind of a "cheat" I used in college and grad school, I would find books on the subject of a class I was taking and listen to it on my commute to get a greater understanding of that subject then just the assigned texts allowed. Of course, it let me cheat in some current events kind of books too when I would not have time to actually sit down and read them. 
 
Full disclosure, Amazon (Audible's parent company) gives me a little commission if you sign up but it helps support the blog (I.E. put food in the mouths of baby krakens) and really, it is free. I will even post a follow up in a month to remind people to cancel the subscription if they didn't think the service was as great as I do. If you want. If I remember. Well, I'll try anyway.                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment