Monday, July 16, 2012

Rum and The Misfits?


I was watching the end of Cujo the other day, waiting for Creepshow to come on and saw the oddest thing. A commercial for some knockoff spiced rum called Sailor Jerry's that featured "Where Eagles Dare" by the Misfits in the background. The most recognizable line of that song is "I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch" that Glenn repeats over and over for reasons I have always been unsure of. But that is one of my favorite Misfits songs. I have very mixed, ambiguous feelings about this. First I thought it was funny that seconds earlier the almighty TV gods bleeped out a character saying "goddamn" during the movie, but it was perfectly alright apparently for that word to be sung in the commercials.

Here it is:


And here's the full song:
The full lyrics:
we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare
they pick up every movement
they pick up every loser
with jaded eyes and features
you think they really care?

i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby
i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby, babe

an omelet of disease awaits your noontime meal
her mouth of germicide seducing all your glands

i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby
i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby, babe

let's test your threshold of pain
let's see how long you last
that's happened in your rape
on bosoms of your past

with jaded eyes and features
you think they really care
let's go where eagles dare
let's go where eagles dare

i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby
i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby

i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think about it baby
i ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
you better think baby, babe, babe, babe
The Misfits have always been the soundtrack to Halloween for me. So why would a spiced rum company that presumably is more interested in presenting images of the high seas, tropical paradise and so on want to associate with such a dark brand of music?

No overarching point here, I just thought it was funny. And you don't often hear much punk rock on tv, especially not in commercials.

5 comments:

  1. Sigh..just so wrong...carve another bloody chunk out of my glorious misspent youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are too funny. the comment about goddamn. but i have to say that sailor jerry is awesome rum. it's kinda a low profile rum of choice. a little less main stream. but very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I am sure I've seen sailor jerry around but I so rarely imbibe anymore that I could not give it a thumb's up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was surprised to hear "Where Eagles Dare" on television. Commercial I saw was for whiskey...and edited out the chorus...but as a long-time (and old) Misfits fan, I was immediately texting all the other people I know who would appreciate this (all two of them). Misfits rule.

    ReplyDelete