Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Omens

I wish I could say I am not a superstitious person, but I do believe sometimes there are signs from a greater power around us. Call it God, nature, the zeitgeist, or whatever you like. Maybe it is a throwback to the ancients who attempted to divine guidance from natural phenomena. Don't get me wrong, probably 99% of events are driven by the conscious actions of people, but there are always things we cannot account for. This is more individual than social, have you ever wondered why good or bad things happen to you or others around you for seemingly arbitrary reasons? Can I get away with saying "fate" sometimes has a hand in the unfolding of history?

The weather lately had me very worried. I'm sure it is just an old wives' tale (forgive the expression) that a very cold winter proceeds Democratic presidential victories and vice versa. But the warm weather seemed like a bad omen. I sputtered something to that effect recently and I wish I hadn't. Now however, there has been snowstorms like crazy and plenty of low temperatures. I am not going to sacrifice a goat or something to look at its entrails but maybe I misinterpreted things.

Maybe the unseasonably mild weather was fate throwing us a bone to collect enough recall signatures before the snow really started. Or maybe Al Gore is really right and it was just a coincidence. Either way, a little hope that the people of Wisconsin have a chance to change their minds and throw this bum walker out of a job goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment