Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tea-bags and violence

Sorry for the uninspired title but I just have a lot of half-formed, loosely-connected thoughts floating through my head about what seems to be unfolding in my country today. I have to say "my country" because it is my country too, regardless of what the placards continuously read about certain pea-brained, psychopathic protesters' conception of America being only for right-wingers. I served this country, worked, paid taxes, bought property, debate people in this country too and I go to church in America as well, though mine doesn't expound on the merits of killing police officers at funerals. I previously hypothosized that we are seeing an anti-democratic, anti-liberal faction forming in America composed of the economic elite waging class war on the majority and the working class, bewildered herd that buys the business message and marches boldly to the beat of their own emiseration.


Who are these people in the trenches? One poster on Huffpo described the teabaggers as the squares from the sixties who had nothing to march for and nothing to believe in finally getting their chance to emulate the social movements of that era. Angry, racist, selfish, ignorant people who see this as an opportunity to "take back" the country for their kind through whatever means neccessary. Could this be the breakdown of law and order seen by the "silent majority" of Nixon in reverse? My nightmare is seeing gray-haired, pot-bellied and gun-wielding 'wingers outside the polling places intimidating the new "silent majority" into staying home and thus, electing more business class-warriors to further wreck my country.


In other words, a bully coup. Reducing America to tyranny in the name of "freedom", this hypocricy does not even seem to register in tea-baggers' heads. The same goes for accusations of racism, no matter how blatent, the indignation is always at the accuser. These are the same people who denounced anyone critical of Bush administration policies as a traitor but seem to have no problem criticising any aspect of the Obama administration. Unhinged, armed, and angry at everything but that which is really causing them harm, I fear these extremists will be conducting random acts of domestic terrorism for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment