Thursday, June 25, 2009

Inaugural blog

It's about time I did this. I've wasted an awful lot of energy blogging on some social networking sites that only "friends" can read and therefore almost nobody does. This will (hopefully) give me exposure to people who are, pro or con, interested in the same things I am. Might be fun, might be hell but I know I always have lots to say on all kinds of things so at least I'll be able to write them down for a change.

About the title, I am an historian by training and I start graduate school in the fall for my masters in that subject. I love to study the past and write scholarly papers on obscure subjects but I think I also need an outlet to comment on current events. Particular authors like Kevin Phillips, Noam Chomsky and others are a joy to read because they write as though the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket if you'll pardon the pun. My wife and I love disaster movies, she for the way characters are always portrayed as coming together to work towards fixing the problem and me for the sheer morbid facination at watching the wheels come off the wagon. So I'm a "doom and gloom" kind of guy in my worldview, but not personally. Heck, I'm one of the happiest people I know when it comes to this little corner of America I inhabit.

Posts to this blog will therefore probably be pretty heavy, lots of ugly politics and angry commentary. The kind of opinion mongering I cannot put in my regular work, if that makes any sense. So, if that interests you; welcome aboard! My only request is to think for yourself in comments, I love to debate things but hate talking points and pre-packaged pablum from the elite channels. Please keep me honest, if I start spouting fluff I hope someone calls me on it.

Oh, and I guess the last thing would be that politics and the things we discuss in cyberspace should stay here. I will try not to hold a grudge if you won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment